Candidacy for Ministry Process
Click on the steps below to see details instructions
STEP 1: TALK WITH YOUR PASTOR
Talk with your home church pastor, or other ordained deacon or elder, about your call.
- A helpful resource at this point may be the book, The Christian as Minister
STEP 2: CONTACT YOUR DISTRICT
Contact the district via email with candidacy request.
- Send request for candidacy via email or letter to your district’s Conference Superintendent or Associate Conference Superintendent and the Chair of the District Committee on Ministry (dCOM) explaining your call (Statement of Call). Contact information can be found here
- Meet with Conference Superintendent, Associate Conference Superintendent, or dCOM Chair
- Submit Form 114 (Disclosure Form)
- Complete Background/Credit Screening
STEP 3: MEET WITH YOUR SPRC
STEP 4: PASSAGE UMC
- Conference Superintendent invites to Passage [UMC]
- Respond to online invitation to Passage [UMC]
- Complete steps in Candidacy – Undecided Track in Passage [UMC] up to and including EM360
- Make sure when you pay your fee that you download a copy of “Answering the Call,” the candidacy guidebook. You will receive a hard copy at the retreat.
Notify dCOM Chair that all of the above have been completed.
STEP 5: GET READY FOR THE RETREAT
Submit the following to Passage [UMC] in Candidacy – Indiana Track:
- Upload to Passage [UMC] proof of completion of high school or GED (transcript or copy of diploma). You may also upload college and seminary transcripts.
- Upload to Passage [UMC] a letter from your pastor, SPRC chair or membership secretary certifying you have been a professing member of your church or United Methodist-related campus ministry for at least a year.
- Upload to Passage [UMC] Personal Data Inventory Form. Link to form can be found in Passage [UMC].
- Upload to Passage [UMC] Release of Information Form. Link to form can be found in Passage [UMC].
- Upload to Passage [UMC] Form ACOR: Application for Candidacy Orientation Retreat. Link to form can be found in Passage [UMC].
- Next retreat is January 13-14. 2023. Deadline for registration is December 1.
- Location: Benedict Inn Retreat & Conference Center, 1402 Southern Ave., Beech Grove, IN 46107
- Submit $300 check payable to the INUMC to: Administrator of Leadership Development, Ministerial Services, 301 Pennsylvania Pkwy, Suite 300, Indianapolis, IN 46280
- $100 for Retreat
- $200 for psychological assessment
- PLEASE NOTE: This is separate from the $45 paid online in UMCARES to the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry.
- Read Chapters 1 & 5 of Answering the Call (Download a copy of this book when you pay your candidacy fee in the Candidacy track.)
STEP 6: ATTEND THE RETREAT
Attend the Candidacy Orientation Retreat
- Held at the Benedict Inn Retreat & Conference Center, 1402 Southern Ave., Beech Grove, IN 46107; on the south side of Indianapolis
- Be sure to bring a laptop
- Dress is casual
STEP 7: CERTIFICATION
Prepare for Certification
- Meet regularly with Candidacy Mentoring Group
- Continue preparation for certification interview
- Attend psychological interview with Minister Assessment Specialist (MAS) assigned to you.
Submit the following in Passage [UMC] in Candidacy – Indiana Track:
- Candidacy Mentor to upload to Passage [UMC] Form A – Candidacy Mentor Reference.
- Upload Form B – Financial Report
- Upload Form 104c – Charge Conference Recommendation
- Upload Written answers to Paragraph 310.2.a found in The Book of Discipline
- All transcripts to date
- Other materials as requested
Meet with dCOM for certification interview.
Administrator of Leadership Development | Ministerial Services
Administrative Assistant of Local Pastor Education
Indiana Conference of The United Methodist Church
301 Pennsylvania Parkway, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46280
NEXT RETREAT IS JANUARY 13-14, 2023
Deadline to register: December 1, 2022.
Future Retreat: July 7-8, 2023. Deadline to Register is June 1, 2023.
If you are a college student or attending seminary, you may be eligible to apply for scholarships through the United Methodist Foundation of Indiana. Click here for more information.