Course of Study
ALL COURSES WILL BE HELD AT THE UNIVERSITY OF INDIANAPOLIS
FROM 8:30 AM TO 4:00 PM. SEE THE SYLLABUS FOR YOUR
SPECIFIC COURSE FOR MORE INFORMATION.
The Indiana Extension Course of Study School is an extension of the Garrett-Evangelical School of Theology Course of Study School, operating under the authority of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church. Student performance is reported to the Division of Ordained Ministry, the Annual Conference Board Of Ordained Ministry and the student’s Conference Superintendent and District Committee on Ministry.
The United Methodist Church requires part-time local pastors to complete the Course of Study in 12 years. The student should complete two classes per year to be eligible for reappointment. (Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church, 2016 ¶318.2 See also ¶ 316-320)
All students are responsible for abiding by all policies in the Indiana Extension COS Student Manual. Please see the downloadable version here: COS Student Manual
The weekend schedule makes attendance at the Indiana Extension COS School possible for part-time pastors having a non-clergy vocation.
Applicants must complete the Candidacy and License to Preach requirements before beginning the Course of Study.
The first two (2) courses that new students must complete is COS 121: Theological Heritage: Introduction and COS 122: Bible 1: Introduction.
SESSION DATES FOR 2024
• Spring Session 2024 – Feb. 9 & 10, March 9, and April 13
• Summer Session 2024 – May 18 through June 29
• Fall Session 2024 – Sept. 13 & 14, Oct. 12, and Nov. 19
In addition to registering for the course, your instructor may choose to utilize an online Learning Management System (Moodle) hosted by the United Methodist Communications. Approximately two weeks before the beginning of class, you will receive an email from Ken Boyd, our Online Content Coordinator, with instructions on how to register for the online portion of the class. You will need to register before your Course of Study class begins, so that we can make sure everything is working in the online classroom for you.
2024 Spring Course of Study
2024 Spring Course of Study
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN FROM OCTOBER 31, 2023 THROUGH February 2, 2024
Click the button below to access registration.
When registering, please have your Personal Identification Number (PID) available. If you have forgotten that number, contact Luska Natali before starting your registration.
$270 INUMC Local Pastor
$300 Minister Other Denomination
$300 Other Conference Local Pastor
For financial aid, applicants should check with the Local Pastor Registrar of his/her annual conference, Conference Superintendent, or District Committee.
Students pay for textbooks and any other personal expenses. Tuition includes noon meal on Saturdays.
All sessions are held at the University of Indianapolis.
- February 9, 2024 (Friday)
- February 10, 2024 (Saturday)
- March 9, 2024 (Saturday)
- April 13, 2024 (Saturday)
COURSES BEING OFFERED:
- 122 Theol. Heritage I: Introduction – View Course Syllabus
- 123 Formation & Discipleship – View Course Syllabus
- 222 Theol. Heritage II: Early Church – View Course Syllabus
- 223 Worship and the Sacraments
- 321 Bible III: The Gospels
- 324 Preaching – View Course Syllabus
- 421 Bible IV: Prophets, Psalms – View Course Syllabus
- 521 Bible V: Acts, Epistles, Revelation – View Course Syllabus
- COS 524: Second Saturday date will be arranged between instructor and students. The First Friday-Saturday date and the final Saturday date will be the same.
- 524 Theological Reflection: Practice of Ministry – View Course Syllabus
To register, click here https://inumc.swoogo.com/COSSpring2024
Contact person: Luska Natali, (317) 564-3233, firstname.lastname@example.org