Certified Lay Servant
Certified Lay Servants are to serve the local church or charge in any way in which their witness or leadership and service inspires the laity to deeper commitment to Christ and more effective discipleship, including the interpretation of Scriptures, doctrine, organization, and ministries of the church. Certified Lay Servants are to serve within and beyond the local church.
Certified Lay Servants:
- Take initiative in giving leadership, assistance, and support to the program emphases of the church
- Lead meetings for prayer, training, study, and discussion when requested by the pastor, district superintendent, or committee on Lay Servant Ministries
- Conduct, or assist in conducting, services of worship, and present sermons and addresses when requested by the pastor, district superintendent, or committee on Lay Servant Ministries
- Relate to appropriate committees and ministry areas in providing leadership for congregational and community life and fostering caregiving ministries
- Assist in the distribution of the elements of Holy Communion whenever celebrated upon request by the pastor of the church of which the lay servant is a member
To become a Certified Lay Servant, you must:
- Be a professing and active member of a local church/charge
- Make application in writing to appropriate committee and obtain recommendation from pastor and church council or charge conference
- Complete the BASIC Course and one advanced course for Lay Servant Ministries
- Have your qualifications reviewed by the district committee on Lay Servant Ministries and the annual charge conference
To maintain status, you must:
- Submit an annual report to the charge conference and the committee on Lay Servant Ministries
- Request in writing the renewal of certification
- Complete an advanced course for Lay Servant Ministries at least once every three years for recertification
For more information and resources about Lay Servant Ministries from the General Conference, click here.
Be a Disciple
All advance courses for the Lay Speaking track of study are available on www.beadisciple.com except for the preaching course. Please talk with your District Director of Lay Servant Ministries to find out when that class is being offered.