Course of Study
The Indiana Extension Course of Study School is an extension of the Garrett-Evangelical School of Theology Course of Study School, operating under the authority of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the United Methodist Church. Student performance is reported to the Division of Ordained Ministry, the annual conference Board Of Ordained Ministry and the student’s Conference Superintendent and District Committee on Ministry.
The United Methodist Church requires part-time local pastors to complete the Course of Study in 12 years. The student should complete two classes per year to be eligible for reappointment. (Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church, 2016 ¶318.2 See also ¶ 316-320)
The weekend schedule makes attendance at the Indiana Extension COS School possible for part-time pastors having a non-clergy vocation.
Applicants must complete the Candidacy and License to Preach requirements before beginning the Course of Study.
SESSION DATES FOR 2019 & 2020
- Spring Session 2019- January 18 & 19, March 9, April 13
- Fall Session 2019- August 23 & 24, October 12, November 16
- Spring Session 2020- January 24 & 25, March 7, April 18
The following classes are being offered Spring 2019:
- 121 Bible I: Introduction
- 122 Theol. Heritage I: Introduction
- 123 Formation & Discipleship
- 222 Theol. Heritage II: Early Church
- 223 Worship & The Sacraments
- 324 Preaching
- 421 Bible IV: Prophets, Psalms
- 422 Theol. Heritage IV: Wesleyan Movement
For financial aid applicants should check with the Local Pastor Registrar of his/her annual conference, Conference Superintendent, or District Committee. Students pay for textbooks and any other personal expenses. Tuition includes noon meal on Saturdays.