Website Roberts Park United Methodist Church
Soup’s On at Roberts Park feeds a nutritious meal to 225-275 people every Sunday lunch-time. Fresh meals are prepared and served by volunteers from churches and organizations throughout the metropolitan Indianapolis area. Food is procured from Gleaners Food Bank using Agency Express. Menus are planned by the director.
Roberts Park Church is seeking a Director to give oversight to meal planning and preparation for the ministry.
1. Provide general oversight for Soup’s On meals
- Using donated food from Gleaners, plan the menu for a nutritious hot meal for 225-250 people
- When not cooking the Director provides the volunteer cook with needed recipes and instructions
- Prepare a cart with the necessary ingredients for the meal in advance of Sunday morning
- Pull frozen food from freezer in sufficient time for it to thaw for use in the Sunday meal
2. Oversees food procurement
- Pickups from Gleaners
- Purchase additional items as needed, but whenever possible use donated food from the pantry
3. Manage food storage in the pantry
- Using the master schedule as a guide, ensure Gleaners donated food is used within six months of pick up date, allowing for Sundays where a volunteer church brings and prepares their own food
- Ensure opened cases of food are used prior to expiration date on the packaging
4. Assist with oversight to other volunteer leaders (Volunteer Coordinator, Hosts, Cooks, Sunday morning volunteers)
- Passion for hunger ministry
- Understanding of urban ministries
- Organizational and time management skills
- Communication skills
- Obtain and maintain ServSafe Food Manager Certification
- A culinary arts background or commensurate experience is needed
This position is part-time including weekends. An average of 7 hours per week is expected.
To apply for this job please visit robertsparkumc.org.