Website St. Luke's United Methodist Church
St. Luke’s UMC is one of the largest United Methodist churches in the U.S. with a membership of over 6,000. The mission of the United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. At St. Luke’s, we respond to that call with this purpose statement: We are an open community of Christians helping people find and give hope through Jesus Christ. We are called to: worship God with all our heart, connect with others with all our soul and mind, and serve the world with all our strength. St. Luke’s is intentionally striving to be economically diverse, multi-racial and welcoming to LGBTQ people.
The goal of the Middle School Youth Ministry Internship is for students to apply information learned through college coursework/instruction, and experience in youth ministry. With the guidance of the Director of Middle School Ministry and other Youth Ministry staff, the Middle School Ministry Intern encourages teens, resources adults, teaches, preaches, and leads activities and youth programs that help teens feel welcomed and included in the church life of St. Luke’s and beyond. The intern will be a part of a team of interns, checking in with one another regularly in pursuit of leadership development over the course of the summer.
Regular Tasks and Expectations
- Work on personal leadership goals for the summer, checking in weekly with Intern Program Coordinator
- Work with Middle School Youth Director to create age-appropriate environments where the experience for preteen and middle school students is welcoming, inclusive, and growing.
- Lead various aspects of Sunday morning programming—announcements, worship, crowd breakers, games, etc. as needed
- Attend “Huddles with Heather” each Wednesday to connect with students over ice cream and fellowship.
- Attend weekly Youth Ministry staff meetings and Staff Chapel
- Attend monthly Middle School Parent Lead Team Meetings
- Connect with students, families, and weekly volunteers and provide support as needed
- Hold regular office hours, carrying out various administrative tasks as necessary
- Participate in other areas as assigned by the youth ministry staff
- Lead middle school youth group four consecutive weeks in order to plan for, prepare and deliver an entire series
- Assist in the planning and execution of Middle School Mayhem, a week-long day camp for students in 5th-8th grade
- Participate in greater church activities, beyond youth ministry, in order to grow in awareness of church happenings based upon the interest of the applicant.
- Shadow two (2) separate ministry staff a Sunday morning or other programmatic time
- Attend a hospital call or care visit with a pastor or staff
- Help organize and attend the Middle School Mission Trip to Louisville, KY
- Produce at least one of the middle school ministry’s weekly newsletters
- College-level instruction in the area of youth ministry or an applicable field
- Familiarity with youth ministry issues and teen issues
- Passion for middle school ministry with the desire to interact with multiple areas of ministry within the church at large
- Spiritually maturing Christian; servant-minded, teachable, and with high integrity
- Energetic, caring, dependable, positive, and great people skills
- Professional as it relates to boundaries with teens and personal information
HOW TO APPLY (APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 20, 2019)
The position is a full-time position for 10 weeks, with flexible start and end dates. Total pay is $3000 for the completed 10 weeks.
Please submit the following to Heather Kenison, Director of Middle School Ministries at email@example.com or to her attention at St. Luke’s UMC, 100 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46260:
- 3 Personal References (including one from pastor or church ministry leader, and one from a professor/teacher)
- Consent to Background Check and Interview
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org