Illinois Great Rivers Conference of The UMC
The Director of Congregational Development for the Illinois Great Rivers Conference will be responsible for developing strategies and resources for establishing innovative new faith communities and new church starts. This position works collaboratively with the Resident Bishop, Cabinet, Conference staff, and the Congregational Development Team to start new congregations and develop vitality in existing congregations.
The Illinois Great Rivers Conference is a community of diverse people that desires that all people experience God’s unconditional love for them; know that they are formed in that love; and are sent to live and share that love with others. The Conference is divided into 10 districts made up of more than 800 United Methodist Congregations.
The Director of Congregational Development will identify, assess, and recruit leadership to start new congregations and ministries, and to increase the vitality of existing churches. This role serves as a member of the Appointive Cabinet.
- Develop and implement strategies for making new disciples of Jesus Christ by starting new congregations and ministries and by increasing vitality of existing churches.
- Design and implement visionary systems of leadership identification, recruitment, assessment, and development for leaders of new congregations and leaders implementing strategies for increasing vitality in existing congregations.
- Resource the recruitment and deployment of leaders of new congregations and leaders implementing strategies for increasing vitality in existing congregations.
- Lead Conference in recognizing, supporting, and celebrating new congregations and existing congregations displaying increased vitality.
- Administer funds designated for new churches and congregation development in accordance with decisions of appropriate conference entities, including long-term financial planning and developing fundraising opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree or equivalent is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in planting, multiplying, and leading the start of a new congregation is required.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a significant Annual Conference or General Church leadership role is required.
- Membership in The United Methodist Church and support for the mission, tradition, and polity of the United Methodist Church is required.
- Trained in current processes and models of new church starts and congregational vitality.
- Proven effectiveness in working consultatively with Bishops, District Superintendents, Conference staff, clergy, and Conference leadership committees.
- Ability to inspire and train other church leaders.
- Self-starter with a demonstrated passion for innovation, drive for excellence, attention to detail, and experience working effectively in a team setting.
- Excellent skills in written and verbal communication and interpersonal relations.
- Ability to exercise an executive level of judgment in accomplishing assigned tasks with emotional maturity and stability, within the parameters of established policy and procedures, and in regular communication with the Bishop, fellow staff and related volunteers and employees.
- Support for the vision, mission, and core values of the Illinois Great Rivers Conference of The United Methodist Church.
The Illinois Great Rivers Conference of The United Methodist Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities. All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully completing background, reference, and other applicable checks.
Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Friday, June 25, 2022
No Staffing Agencies or Recruitment Firms
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com