Website St. Luke's United Methodist Church
St. Luke’s UMC is one of the largest United Methodist churches in the U.S. with a membership of over 6,000. The mission of the United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. At St. Luke’s, we respond to that call with this purpose statement: We are an open community of Christians helping people find and give hope through Jesus Christ. We are called to worship God with all our heart, connect with others with all our soul and mind, and serve the world with all our strength. St. Luke’s is intentionally striving to be economically diverse, multi-racial and welcoming to LGBTQ people.
The goal of the High School Youth Ministry Internship is for students to apply information learned through college coursework/instruction, and experience in youth ministry. With the guidance of the Director of High School Ministry and other Youth Ministry staff, the High School Ministry Intern encourages teens, resources adults, teaches, preaches, and leads activities and youth programs that help teens feel welcomed and included in the church life of St. Luke’s and beyond. The intern will be a part of a team of interns, checking in with one another regularly in pursuit of leadership development over the course of the summer.
Regular Tasks and Expectations
- Work on personal leadership goals for the summer, checking in weekly with Intern Program Coordinator
- Work with High School Youth Director to create age-appropriate environments where the experience for high school students is welcoming, inclusive, and authentic.
- Lead various aspects of Sunday morning programming—announcements, worship, crowd breakers, games, etc. as needed
- Attend weekly Youth Ministry staff meetings and Staff Chapel
- Connect with students, families, and weekly volunteers and provide support as needed
- Hold regular office hours, carrying out various administrative tasks as necessary
- Participate in other areas as assigned by the youth ministry staff
- Lead 4 Sunday morning programs in the high school ministry
- Assist in leading the Haiti Missions Trip, June 4-10th (flexible)
- Assist in leading High School Camp, June 16-21 (required)
- Participate in greater church activities, beyond youth ministry, in order to grow in awareness of church happenings based upon the interest of the applicant.
- Shadow two (2) separate ministry staff a Sunday morning or other programmatic time
- Attend a hospital call or care visit with a pastor or staff
- Assist in creating content for Fall Teaching Series • Plan and execute one ‘High School Night Out’
- College-level instruction in the area of youth ministry or an applicable field
- Familiarity with youth ministry issues and teen issues
- A desire to be engaged in ministry (not necessarily vocationally)
- Spiritually maturing Christian; servant-minded, teachable, and with high integrity
- Energetic, caring, dependable, positive, and great people skills
- Professional as it relates to boundaries with teens and personal information
HOW TO APPLY (APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 20, 2019)
The position is a full-time position for 10 weeks, with flexible start and end dates. Total pay is $3000 for the completed 10 weeks.
Please submit the following to Travis Bannon, Director of High School Ministries at email@example.com or to his attention at St. Luke’s UMC, 100 W. 86th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46260:
- 3 Personal References (including one from pastor or church ministry leader, and one from a professor/teacher)
- Consent to Background Check and Interview
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org