Website Hanfield UMC
Job Title: Business Manager: 40 hrs/week (primarily M-F)
Business Manager Job Purpose:
Responsible for managing and overseeing the church office, including but not limited to computers, equipment, ordering supplies, coordinating volunteer recruitment and assisting Pastors. Responsible for the financial health of the church. Producing financial reports and developing strategies based on financial research. Guiding leadership in making sound business decisions in the long and short term.
Reports to: Senior Pastor & Associate Pastor
- Plan, direct and guide the work of the church office
- Develop, implement and maintain an efficient and effective office organization.
- Maintain an adequate inventory of equipment and supplies
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers for the office
- Be the first point of contact for community members seeking financial assistance
- Work with the Administrative Assistant to ensure all mailings are completed in a timely manner
- Communicating: Share church events with appropriate people
- Operate and maintain computers, printers, scanner, copier, folder, etc.
- Maintain office phones to ensure recordings are accurate
- Coordinate the continued renovation of the church building (communication with vendors, scheduling, etc.)
- Security System & creating passcodes for those who require them
- Cleaning – oversee the cleaning schedule, set expectations and follow up with the cleaning crew as needed
- Coordinating the setup and teardown of events, ensuring those who must be involved are present
- Ensure employee review process stays on schedule (annual & quarterly)
- New hire paperwork and orientation
- Manage benefits, vacation, payroll, etc.
- Assist the SPR & Associate Pastor in the hiring process (job descriptions, interview coordination, advertising, etc.
- In conjunction with the pastor(s), supervise the Custodian(s) and the Administrative Assistant.
Monitor the day-to-day financial operations within the church, such as payroll, invoicing, payables, banking, and other transactions
Oversee the counting process and recording of contributions, preparing congregation statements annually (or quarterly as deemed necessary)
Tracking of restricted accounts and ensuring they are used as designated & used in a timely manner
Oversee financial volunteers, assist Chairman of the Finance Team
Contract outside services for payroll & tax preparation, auditing, banking, investments, insurance, and other financial needs as necessary
Track the church’s financial status and performance to identify areas for potential improvement
Seek out methods for minimizing financial risk to the church
Provide insightful information and expectations to leadership and staff to aid in long-term and short-term decision making
Review financial data and prepare monthly and annual reports, Present financial reports to board members, finance team members, and the congregation informal meetings & through mailings
Stay up to date with technological advances and accounting software to be used for financial purposes, participate in continuing education as available
Oversee the budget-writing process, ensuring the Finance Team and Administrative Council approve it before the first of the new year
Establish and maintain (in conjunction with the Finance Team) financial policies and procedures for the church
Understand and adhere to financial regulations and legislation
Responsible for providing the United Methodist Conference with all required financial reports/audits
Perform some Human Resources tasks such as new hire paperwork, vacation tracking
Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings
Ensure safe & secure storage of church financial records and maintaining the confidentiality of the records
Other duties as assigned
Business Manager Skills and Qualifications:
Degree in accounting, business, economics, finance, or a related field; several years of experience in a finance role; superior mathematical skills; leadership skills and experience; understanding of data privacy standards; solid communication skills, both written and verbal; deep understanding of business principles and practices; superior attention to detail; organizational skills; planning skills; research skills; analytical skills; critical thinking skills; problem-solving skills; computer skills; multi-tasking abilities; integrity, honesty. Must be willing to work flexible hours, mostly M-F but also weekends as needed.
To apply for this job please visit workable.com.