Website Grace United Methodist Church
Purpose of the Position
The Director of Music serves Grace UMC by leading, developing, coordinating, scheduling, and implementing a music ministry including the coordination and supervision of all Music Ministry volunteers, youth, children, as well as paid staff.
· A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in music or equivalent training or experience is preferred.
· Successful parish music leadership experience preferred.
· Experience and proficiency in choral direction and performance.
· Experience and openness to incorporating diverse genres in the worship services.
· Demonstrated creativity and excellence in developing and maintaining fresh and inspiring worship music experiences.
· Verbal and written communication skills
· Professional personal presentation
· Organizing and planning ahead
· Attention to detail
· Proficient in building relationships with other key leaders in the church (i.e., tech team, VIP care team, Grace Recovery, Young at Heart, and Grace Education Ministries)
· Reliable and able to meet deadlines
· Personal emotional management
· Lead with a flexible, collaborative, and cooperative Christ-like spirit
· Recruit, train and lead volunteers and teams
· Work independently as well as part of a team
· Manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
The weekly work schedule during the months of September through May consist of every Wednesday evening for Chancel Choir rehearsal and scheduling a volunteer to rehearse when conflicts arise. Participate in a weekly meeting with pastors and Leadership Team for planning.
Duties & Responsibilities – Services:
· Plan, oversee, and coordinate the musical components for all regular weekly, seasonal and special worship services in collaboration with the Worship Planning Team and pastors.
· Select and plan special music and congregational hymns for the 9:00 and 11:00 am Sunday services.
· Provide supervision and direction to all accompanists, children’s choir and youth band directors, vocalists, and instrumentalists.
· Schedule rehearsal times and rehearse with soloists, instrumentals and special music for any given Sunday and/or Worship Service.
Duties & Responsibilities – Music Ministry:
· Recruit, train and integrate adult and youth volunteers into the Music Ministry according to their gifts, abilities, interests, and availability.
· Lead and direct the Chancel Choir including selecting music/anthems, maintaining music library, holding weekly rehearsals, arranging for an accompanist, scheduling and conducting those performances.
· Coordinate the annual church Christmas and Easter music/drama celebrations, including both the Children’s Christmas Eve service and the Candlelight Service.
· Coordinate and plan for Children’s Choir by being responsible for choosing volunteers to lead and facilitate weekly Children’s Choir rehearsals, choosing music for the children to sing/play, and scheduling the children to participate in worship.
· Coordinate and plan for Youth Band by being responsible for choosing volunteers to lead and facilitate weekly rehearsals, choosing music, scheduling youth to participate in services.
Duties and Responsibilities – Leadership & Administration:
· Maintain professional competency by attending workshops and seminars, reading professional publications, and participating in other professional development activities according to what is available and feasible throughout the year.
· Maintain communication with Grace music groups (including Bell Choir), with rehearsal updates, rehearsal soundtracks, and upcoming schedules.
· Submit annual budget recommendations for Music Ministry. Monitor all Music Ministry expenses; approve payments and reimbursements as needed and within the approved budget.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com