Website First United Methodist Church
Located just off Purdue University’s campus, First United Methodist Church of West Lafayette, Indiana is seeking to employ a creative, energetic Pianist/Organist* who enjoys and is fluent in all styles of music and who displays excellent accompanist skills. Along with strong musical education, the qualified applicant should exhibit a deep commitment to their Christian faith and a gracious and encouraging spirit.
The Pianist/Organist gives leadership to the congregation throughout our traditional/blended worship services by using the organ/piano to lead us in worship. The Pianist/Organist supports the Director of Music Ministries and Worship Arts as accompanist to the Chancel Choir and various other small vocal and instrumental ensembles. The Pianist/Organist is directly accountable to the Director of Music Ministries and Worship Arts and the Senior Pastor.
- Select and provide prelude, offertory, postlude, and communion music if needed, at our 8:30am and 11:00am traditional/blended Sunday morning worship. (Covid Pandemic worship services: one 11:00am blended Live-Stream worship service, limited to no more than 15 participants plus A/V, 10am rehearsal call time, masks and social distancing required)
- Provide support for special celebrations of worship such as Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, and other church celebrations. (Covid Pandemic: these services are yet to be determined)
- Accompany vocalists, instrumentalists, and small ensembles, including the handbell choir when needed, for both worship and rehearsals as scheduled by the Director of Music Ministries. (Covid Pandemic: extremely limited responsibilities)
- Accompany Chancel Choir rehearsal on the Wednesday evenings from late August through mid-May, (Covid Pandemic: currently held on Sunday afternoons at 5pm in the church garage. Masks and social distancing are practiced. We can be flexible with this during the pandemic)
- Accompany Chancel Choir rehearsal at additional rehearsals when preparing for cantatas or concerts or other special events. (Covid Pandemic: limited to a possible special event)
- When available, provide organ music for weddings and funerals that are held at the church. Fees for these services are honorariums from couples and families at an amount determined by church policy (weddings) or by the family (funerals).
- Arrange in advance with the Director of Music Ministries and Worship Arts regarding all absences for vacation, illness, or other reasons. Work with the Director of Music Ministries and Worship Arts to find a qualified substitute.
- Submit information for bulletins in a timely fashion as determined by the staff.
- Regularly assess tuning and maintenance needs of the pianos and organ and report specified needs to the Director of Music Ministries and Worship Arts.
- Allen MDS-39 Digital Electronic Organ (1996), 3 manuals, 45 stops + a 100 voice MIDI including a 7 bell Zimbelstern
- Sanctuary piano: Steinway Grand Piano
- Rehearsal Room piano: Acrosonic Piano
- Yamaha YPG – 535 Digital Piano
Compensation for this part-time position is based per service and per rehearsal.
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and references to: Ellen Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org Recordings/videos are optional but encouraged.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com