Indiana Conference of The United Methodist Church
Title: Conference Assistant assigned to Northwest and North Districts
FLSA Classification: Hourly
ACA Classification: Regular Full-Time
SUPERVISOR: Senior Conference Assistant
LAST REVISION: September 9, 2020
To provide support for the districts and the Conference Superintendents (“CS”) assigned to districts within the Indiana Conference of The United Methodist Church (“Conference”) under the supervision of the Senior Conference Assistant. This critical role is intended to greatly benefit the local church, its leaders (clergy or laity), and its members and be seen as a ministry partner with the Conference Superintendents.
1. Administrative Support to the Conference Superintendents: This role will act as the first point of contact for the Northwest and North districts, answering phone calls, emails and other forms of correspondence appropriately under the direction of the Conference Superintendent. This role will also act in an Executive Assistant role for the CS(s), including but not limited to:
a. providing detailed and thorough administrative duties
b. creating an ethos of radical hospitality and extraordinary care for those who engage with the districts, their churches and Conference affiliates
c. anticipating and providing the needs for meetings and events from all parties involved
d. researching and analyzing information relevant to the district, its churches and CS under the guidance of the CS
e. collaborating with the Conference and various other teams as needed
2. Clergy Assessment Processes and Clergy Forms: Scheduling, organization, logistical planning and follow-up for:
a. summer conversations and clergy assessments
b. continuing education tracking
c. appointment recommendations and intention forms tracking
3. Charge Conferences and District Meetings: In collaboration with the CS, assist with and offer support in the planning, logistical preparation and attendance at Charge Conferences, district training events, and other various district team meetings. This function, if asked to attend, may require reimbursement of travel expenses and payment of overtime hours.
4. Take-Ins/Take-Outs: Preparation of needed forms, packets or information for the CS to use at Take-In/Take-Outs, anticipating any logistical or administrative needs appropriately.
5. Reports: In collaboration with the Database Coordinator(s), assist with or create reports as needed from WebShare or Arena.
6. Support to District Clergy and Church Leadership/Laity: Assistance to churches, their leaders and members in submitting information needed by the Conference, researching resources available in ministry, Vital Signs support, and general ministry questions and challenges.
7. Annual Conference: Support and resource equalization members, and attendance if needed by the CS or the Conference.
8. Support and resource various committees, boards, etc within the district and Conference: as needed
9. Record retention: In collaboration with the Database Coordinator(s), maintaining EBridge, archives.
10. Assist with other tasks, events or functions as requested by the Senior Conference Assistant, Associate Director of Administrative Services and the Conference Superintendent(s).
Supervisory Responsibilities (if any)
None, except as noted above
• Assist at Annual Conference Session or other off-site events as requested by supervisor.
• Assist Administrative team members with tasks as requested by supervisor.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Location of Role
The Conference Assistant assigned to districts will be a role that can either be centralized in the Conference Center, deployed to a district office or offices, and/or performed at an in-home or virtual office equipped and approved by the Conference. The determination of location shall be based upon agreement of and at the discretion(s) of the CS(s) involved, the individual performing the role, and the Director of Administrative, Financial & Support Services.
1. Supportive of the mission and ministry of The United Methodist Church
2. Commitment to the mission, vision and values of the Indiana Conference
3. Servant leadership
5. Time management skills
6. Team player
8. Commitment to confidentiality
9. Communication proficiency, both oral and written
10. Computer savvy
11. Excellent typing and proofreading skills
12. Experience with database management, spreadsheets, event registration, word processing, financial reports
Educational and Experience Preferences
1. Preferred: Associate’s degree or the equivalent of a two-year degree from an accredited learning institution
2. Mandatory: A minimum of 2 years performing duties of a like-nature to the position described herein, or in a position wherein the skills and experience are deemed transferrable and relative
Work Environment and Travel Demands
This position’s function and duties are performed in a professional office environment. The role requires the use of common office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing (both physical and electronic) and fax machines. The position requires attendance in the Indiana Conference Center as determined by supervisor.
While performing the duties of this position, travel may be required for off-site events.
Application Materials Required:
Interested applicants must complete and submit the following information to be considered:
a. A letter of interest
b. A current resume detailing qualifications
All resumes and information should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 30, 2020.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com