Bethany United Methodist Church
Expectations: The Choir Director is responsible for providing leadership in the area of choral and congregational music.
Accountability: The Choir Director serves under the supervision of the Senior Pastor with oversight by the Staff Parish Relations Committee. A liaison appointed by the SPRC will be assigned to the Choir Director.
The following abilities are desired and valued in the selection and retention of the Bethany UM Church Choir Director:
- Must be an accomplished vocal musician.
- Must have the ability to read music.
- Should have the experience with choral music direction.
- Should have an understanding and appreciation of a wide range of church music.
- Must have a sensitivity to the liturgy of the church.
- Must relate well with people and must possess sound teaching skills that include patience, good communication skills, and organizational ability.
The Choir Director will be responsible for the following duties:
- Will direct the church choir during worship services from September to Pentecost (May or June) and practice with the choir on a weekly basis.
- Will direct the choir or provide special music (in addition to the Sunday worship) on seven additional Sundays to include Christmas Eve, Epiphany, Ash Wednesday, Mandy Thursday, Good Friday, All Saints’ Day, and Easter sunrise service, if needed.
- Will consult with the pastor so as to choose music that supports the lectionary or worship themes.
- Will lead the choir in selecting, practicing, and presenting choral music for the Sunday worship that might include anthems, introits, hymns, responses, psalms, offertories, recessionals, and benedictions.
- Will be aware of the lectionary and the seasons of the church year in the selection of choral and worship music.
- Will be familiar with the The United Methodist Hymnal and The Faith We Sing.
- Look for and prepare new choral music to increase the repertoire of the choir and to enhance the worship experience for the congregation.
- Will assist choir members and qualified vocalists in preparing solos and ensembles as befits the congregation’s worship.
- Lead the church choir in teaching the congregation new hymns and responses.
- Will advise the Board of Trustees when church piano needs tuning.
- Will administer a “line item” amount from the church budget to purchase new music or advise on the care of choir robes.
- Will meet with the Pastor, as necessary.
- Will serve as an auxiliary member on the Worship Committee.
All public gatherings, including worship, attendees are required to wear masks.
Please submit resume to BethanyUMC.email@example.com for consideration.
Tentatively, we are looking to have a starting date around the first of the year (1/1/2022).
To apply for this job email your details to BethanyUMC.firstname.lastname@example.org