Title: Associate Director of Leadership Development – Laity & Discipleship
FLSA Classification: Exempt/Salary
ACA Classification: Regular Full-Time
SUPERVISOR: Director of Leadership Development
DATE OF LAST REVISION: July 26, 2022
The vision of Leadership Development in the Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church is to discover and develop fruitful leaders who empower others for intentional transformation that they might accomplish the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
This position embraces the idea from our Book of Discipline (¶134) which states:
“The United Methodist tradition has recognized that laypersons as well as ordained persons are gifted and called by God to lead the Church. The servant leadership of these persons is essential to the mission and ministry of congregations.”
a. Overall Purpose of Position
Position Summary: To assist in realizing the vision of Leadership Development by providing leadership and support for the implementation of the policies, practices, and processes for the Conference Board of Laity and the Conference Council on Intentional Discipleship.
This position works to develop strong teams whose vision for our Indiana Conference align with our mission statement.
This critical role works to continually identify and implement best practices and innovations in engagement, discipleship, and leadership development to support fruitful laity leaders. The position is relational, connectional, and consultative in nature. It requires a high level of confidentiality. It also requires the ability to work in teams and collaborative ministry with a high level of organizational communication skills.
This person must have a passion for serving in the development of fruitful laity leaders. The ideal candidate possesses a passion for Christ and Christ’s church, a heart for developing others, demonstrates superior communication skills, and is an experienced relationship-builder.
b. Essential Functions
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Leadership Development to fulfill the mission of the Indiana Conference and vision of the department of Leadership Development.
- Works closely with the Board of Laity and Lay Servant Ministry to implement their vision for laity development. This includes all elements of team support and development as well as opportunities for teaching and resourcing others to teach.
- Works closely with Council on Intentional Discipleship to implement their vision for discipleship development.
- Responsible to develop, work with, and maintain relationships. This includes but is not limited to Conference Lay Leader, District Lay Leaders, Congregational Lay Leaders, and other Related Boards & Committee Members, Ordained Clergy, Bishop and Conference Superintendents, Office Staff, Chairpersons of Related Areas, and District Assistants
- Maintains a close working relationship with Church Development, Emerging Leaders, and Camping Ministries for the purpose of collaboration around discipleship development.c. Other Responsibilities
- Attends all Leadership Development Staff events and meetings.
- Attends all Conference level Board of Laity and Lay Servant events and meetings.
- Attends all Council on Discipleship events and meetings.
- Attends all Conference Staff events and meetings.
- Support Conference Prayer Ministry.
- Distributes agendas, reports, emails, phone calls on various issues in a timely manner.
- Maintains all communications related to Board of Laity and Council on Intentional Discipleship (including newsletter, website updates, and social media).
- Attends meetings of various Boards and Agencies as deemed by direct supervisor.
- Speaks as able at congregational, district, and conference events/worship services.
- Familiarity with coaching and ability to recruit and connect coaches and clients.
- Workplace Requirements
- Availability and funds to enable travel within the conference, jurisdiction and connectional meetings.
- Office with administrative support for correspondence, finances, meeting space, information management, and supervision management.
- Internet-enabled mobile phone.
- Laptop computer with voice and video capabilities.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Qualifications for this position
- A vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion to help fulfill the church’s mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Knowledgeable and supportive of the mission and ministry of the United Methodist Church which includes a deep understanding of Wesleyan theology.
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity (culture, race, gender, theology, age, etc.).
- Experience in leadership development, engagement, and cultivation.
- Experience in discipleship development through spiritual formation and education.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality and professional integrity.
- Ability to interact with and form fruitful partnerships with groups and individuals.
- Strong organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication skills both written and spoken.
This position is open until filled. Priority consideration will be given to applications received prior to 8/20/22. Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and references to Rev. Shannon Stringer at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org