Simpson Memorial United Methodist Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The congregation dates from about 1830, and the church later took the name Simpson in honor of Reverend Matthew Simpson, first president of Indiana Asbury University (now DePauw University) and a prominent bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The present building was erected in 1899, reusing the foundation stones of the 1838 structure, and was dedicated on October 22, 1899.
"The plans for the Victorian Gothic-style church came from architect Benjamin Price of Pennsylvania. It was built by Capt. John Nafius of New Albany and paid for by Capt. John Ford, a former Greenville resident. The curved, oak pews were formed in Ohio and assembled on site. … On March 26, 1908, the majority of Greenville burnt to the ground and this church was one of only a few buildings untouched by the fire." – Marker denoting the placement of the church on the National Register of Historic Places, 29 September 2004.
GPS: 38 22 23.41, -85 59 29.01