The citizens of the village of Mechanicsburg (later know as Stringtown) banded together and acquired a lot for "a school and congregation." The year was 1831. In the next year or so, they pitched in and erected a community building of above-average quality with a stone foundation and processed lumber from David Negdley's mill on nearby Pigeon Creek. Native stone and lumber were hauled by wagons pulled by teams of oxen, horses and mules – plus manpower – up the steep and treacherous trail to the church site. Volunteers using primitive hand tools laid the foundation stones, chinked with mud, and mortised and pinned the beams together with wooden pegs. At some point, the walls and ceiling were finished with lath and plaster.
Some of the laborers were Methodists, but the chapel belonged to the whole community. Methodist circuit-riders preached there from time to time.
At last, beginning in 1897 when the church had only thirteen members, it was made a point on the Evansville Circuit of the Indiana Conference, and thereafter all its pastors were Methodist. The Methodists purchased the church building itself on Feb. 11, 1921.
Over the years many modifications have been made, including new flooring and windows of stained glass. The building retains its basic stone foundation and native wood construction.
The Old North Chapel still faithfully serves its congregation, although large, modern facilities now adjoin it. The building is lovingly maintained and deserving of a visit. It represents, as few remaining buildings do, a very early era in Indiana's religious life.
GPS: 38 01 02.37, -87 33 40.68