Haven Hubbard Home was originally known as the Haven Hubbard Memorial Old People's Home in memory of Mr. Haven Hubbard. He and his wife, Arminia, a childless couple, had wanted to provide a means to minister to the needs of older people, but Haven died in 1916 before the plan was fully developed.
The family's homestead farm on which Haven had lived and worked outside New Carlisle became the site of the new venture. In 1920 Arminia gave the 700-acre farm to the Indiana Conference of the Evangelical Association, which built and ran the residential home. At first, it was mainly a retirement facility for ministers and their wives, but it quickly attracted other residents from miles around. In the early decades, the farm was worked, complete with beef and dairy cows, hogs and poultry. Residents were encouraged to help out in the garden, with chores and other duties.
Until her death in 1946, Arminia Hubbard continued to live in the substantial farmhouse that still stands on the property. Additions to the Haven Hubbard Home were made over the years, and the name changed a few times, eventually coming to be known as Hamilton Grove. A whole complex of apartments and residential buildings sprang up, and it continues to be a thriving retirement community. The communal dining building displays portraits of the Hubbards and numerous early scenes of the Home.
The 117,000-square-foot brick structure appears much as it did during its years as a retirement home. There are small single and double rooms, each with a closet and bathroom. The old dining room, chapel, and recreation area can still be identified. But since 2005, the building has been empty. In 2011, it was placed on the Indiana Landmarks' list of "Ten Most Endangered" Hoosier landmarks. If a new use isn't found, the building could be demolished.
GPS: 41 43 47.19, -086 29 02.72