First UM Church of Vincennes dates to 1809. A brick church with a tall, stately steeple was erected in 1849 at the corner of Third and Buntin Streets.
The Vincennes Times of February 17, 1866, carried a long story about the congregation and its building. A portion of it reads:
“We were permitted on last Sabbath to attend the dedication service of the M. E. Church, in our city, which had been rebuilt at an expense of some six thousand dollars. The work has been in progress for some months, amidst many discouragements and hindrances, under the patient and persevering superintendence of the Pastor, Rev. Mr. Ketcham. The work is not entirely completed, but enough is done to give the beholder an idea of the order of architecture, the beauty of the work, and the utility of the improvement. It is a credit to the builders, an ornament to the city, and an honor to the cause of Christianity.
“The dedication service was opened by reading the Ritual of the Church, for such cases made and provided. Then followed an appropriate, solemn, and eloquent prayer by Rev. Mr. Rolins, of Evansville. Then the reading of appropriate lessons of Scripture, and preaching of a most excellent sermon by Bishop Clarke, of Cincinnati, O., finished the morning service.
“The ladies of this congregation, as well as many that are not members, have rendered noble service. Early and late they have been busy in their labors, at fairs, festivals and suppers, to raise means to advance the interest of the church. May their hands never want what their hearts are willing to give in any cause to bless and save the world from sin and sorrow.
“The future of this church was never so bright, as in this year, the Centennary of American Methodism. It has the wisdom of age without its decrepitude. It has the vivacity of youth without its inexperience. The accumulated power of a century gives energy to her arms of faith. The ever-increasing light of a hundred years, illuminates and cheers her hope.”
In 1874 the brick structure was again remodeled. The present handsome limestone building was erected in 1899 and extensively rebuilt in 1917.
GPS: 38 40 49.84, -87 31 38.14