Lay Servant Academy events and Lay Servant Ministries are for anyone interested in learning or polishing ministry skills relating to speaking, teaching, leading, caring, and leadership. All lay persons are invited! Courses offered may meet requirements for recognition as a Certified Lay Servant or a Certified Lay Speaker within the Indiana Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church.
Cost: $25 per person (class) – Lunch and morning coffee/snacks is included with registration
Onsite registration: $35 per person (class)
Payment Information: Visa and MasterCard accepted
Please print a copy of your registration for your receipt.
Check payments must be mailed within 7 days of registration. Please include a copy of your invoice with your check.
Make checks payable to INUMC
Attn: Lisa Timmerman
301 Pennsylvania Parkway, #300
Indianapolis, IN 46280
Cancellation policy: cancellations must be received via email to email@example.com by 11:59 pm on April 19 to be eligible for a refund less processing fee. No refunds after this date.
Registration deadline: April 19, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Schedule for the day:
- 7:30 am – Registration, gathering
- 8:15 am – Worship, introductions, instructions, lay servant stories
- 8:30 – 12:00 – Class time
- 12:00 – 12:30 pm – Class time
- 12:30 pm – 4:00 pm – Class time
- 4:00 – 4:30 pm – Closing worship, celebration
Optional child care is available – No additional fee, but MUST be reserved when registering. No onsite childcare registration available.
Required texts – must be purchased in advance by each participant (Cokesbury.com or Amazon.com) Texts not available onsite. Participants must read course text or materials in advance, come prepared to actively participate in the course in order to receive course certification. Last minute registrations will have additional requirements.
- The Basic Course – this course is foundational for all courses in Lay Servant Ministries. Participants are encouraged to discover and employ personal spiritual gifts as God intended and to consider the importance of exercising servant leadership, developing future leaders, remaining rooted in consistent spiritual practices, and being part of a group that holds members accountable in their discipleship. Instructor – Kim Wilson; Book – Lay Servant Ministries Basic Course Participant’s Book Sandy Zeigler Jackson & Brian Jackson; ISBN: 978-0-88177-626-3
- Preaching – This course is designed for those who have not completed formal preaching training, for pastors seeking a basic refresher course, and for others who are called upon to preach in a pastor’s absence. Instructor – Rev. Colin Cress; Book – From Pew to Pulpit – Clifton Guthrie. ISBN : 978-0-687-06660-5
- From Fear to Inclusion, Loving and Leading as Jesus’ Followers (Part 2) –participants must have completed Part One at the November, 2019 Central District Lay Academy. Instructor – Rev. Michelle Cobb
- Leading Public Prayer – Praying in public can be daunting, but prayer is something one learns. This course on praying in public will help the participant grow in confidence and skill in public prayer and enrich their personal prayer life. Instructor – Rev. Chiyona Bourne. Book – Shaping the Prayers of People – Samuel Wells & Abigail Kocher. ISBN: 978-0-8028-7097-1
- Discover Your Spiritual Gifts – This course helps participants understand spiritual gifts and how the church can use them to fulfill its mission and ministry. Participants wil also learn what it means to be a spiritual leader and will be equipped to lead others in exploring and using their spiritual gifts. Instructor – Rev. Kate Biggs Book – Rediscovering Our Spiritual Gifts – Charles V Bryant. ISBN: 978-0-8358-0633-6
- Life Together in the United Methodist Connection (Polity) –this course gives participants an overview of the structure and organization of The United Methodist Church. Access to a copy of the 2016 Book of Discipline is recommended for this course. Instructor – Rev. P.T. Wilson. Book – Polity, Practice, and the Mission of the United Methodist Church – Thomas Edward Frank ISBN: 978-0-687-33531-2