Metro Ministries, Inc. enjoyed sharing in Project Transformation Indiana’s first Partners in Transformation Breakfast last Thursday. This event was an opportunity for PT Indiana leadership and staff to thank the community members, churches and organizations that supported last year’s summer reading program with their time, talents and dollars.
North UMC and Cumberland UMC were recognized for partnering with PT Indiana as last year’s host churches. In 2019 PT Indiana has partnered with a third host church, St. Andrew UMC. The programs will run concurrently at the three host churches from June 10 through July 30, Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. This means more children served and more volunteer opportunities!
PT Indiana brings together college-age young adults who are developing as servant leaders by connecting them with churches in under-served communities, to offer high-quality programming to children from low-income neighborhoods, working to improve the children’s literacy and social, emotional and spiritual growth.
How can you help? There are several ways to get involved:
- Volunteer to read: Approximately 15 volunteers per day per location are needed to read with a child one-on-one. This is a great opportunity for individuals throughout the metro Indy area to build relationships with and make an impact on children from low-income neighborhoods.
- Dinner volunteers: Every Sunday through Thursday night at 6:00 p.m., meals are prepared and served at University Heights UMC for all of the student interns who operate the programs. The food is provided by local churches and is a great chance to share a meal and conversation with young people who are committed to serving the children and their families.
- Get the word out about registration for children in the Indianapolis neighborhoods surrounding host churches:
- North UMC at 3808 N. Meridian Street, contact Carolyn Svirsky for registration information, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cumberland UMC at 219 N. Muessing Street, families can register during the church’s Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday 4/20 at 10:00 a.m.; they can also register at the church office Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9:00 and 2:00 p.m.
- St. Andrew UMC at 2560 Villa Avenue, registration will be held April 29 from 6-7:00 p.m. at the church. Follow-up registration events will be held if needed
Registration will be capped at each of the sites, so let’s get the word out! Please share these volunteer opportunities as well as registration details via your communication channels.