Matching grants up to $20,000 are offered by the Indiana Conference of The United Methodist Church based on the criteria established in the INUMC Urban Ministry Comprehensive Plan. The match for grants is 5:1, and you must demonstrate the church’s ability to match 20% of the grant amount. The general policy will be for grant money to be distributed in installments. Depending on the size and purpose of the grant, if the recipient can demonstrate an immediate need, it is possible for the grant to be distributed in one lump sum. Before applying for a matching grant, applicants should read and be familiar with the INUMC Urban Ministry Comprehensive Plan.
In order to qualify for a matching grant, the applicant must be an Indiana United Methodist Church or United Methodist Faith Community located within an urban center greater than 50,000 people, with:
- A high population density
- Cultural and socio-economic diversity
- A variety of family structures and household configurations
- A concentration of infrastructures (government, financial institutions, employers, and schools)
- Establishment of New and Renewed Faith Communities (New faith community should also check with Church Development for possible funding.)
- Investment in Community and Leadership Development
- Engagement with Community Organizing Efforts
- Commitment to Ministries of Justice and Compassion
APPLICATION PROCESS AND DEADLINES
You should plan on taking approximately 6 months to gather the information and supporting documentation needed for an application.
Application deadlines are June 1 and December 1.
The application process will begin by the church or faith community submitting a “Notice of Intention to Apply” by March 1 prior to the June 1 deadline or September 1 prior to the December 1 deadline. The purpose of the Notice of Intention to Apply is to notify the grant committee of your intention to apply, and it also helps the grant committee to confirm that your application meets the criteria of the grant. The Notice of Intention to Apply can be submitted on the form below and contains the following four sections:
- Proposed Initiative
- Target Population
- Proposed Goals
- Proposed Plan of action
GRANT PROPOSAL CONTENTS
All matching grant applications should contain or illustrate the following:
- Church leadership and congregational support for the project with signed letters of support from church council along with minutes of meetings showing where the proposal has been thoroughly and thoughtfully discussed
- Community support for the ministry project (letters, short videos, or other means of support from community ministry partners will be considered a plus)
- How this grant proposal will help transform the community (milestones and benchmarks)
- How this grant will engage the church in ministry WITH people in the community
- Sources of funding for the church’s portion of the grant match
- A plan for sustainability
- Staff time and internships can be included, but there must be a plan for sustainability after the grant runs out
- Proof that your conference superintendent is aware
- Indication of thoughtful engagement of urban ministry
APPLICATION AND DOCUMENTS
- INUMC Urban Ministry Comprehensive Plan
- Link to online “Notice of Intention to Apply” submission form. This must be submitted at least 3 months prior to your grant application.
- Link to Urban Transitional Community Matching Grant Application submission form.