The United Methodist Committee on Relief has approved a $10,000 solidarity grant for The United Methodist Churches in Indiana to support initial relief efforts for the damage caused by 10 tornadoes and other storms that swept across Indiana on Friday, March 31.
Our disaster response team, along with pastors and superintendents, continue to meet and work with Indiana State VOAD (Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters). As expected, United Methodists are serving and responding in wonderful ways alongside others in their communities. Please continue to respond in these ways:
- Prayer of course!
- As always, don’t self-deploy to a disaster area. You will see different areas responding and able to accept assistance and donations at different times and in a variety of ways. Please wait for the invitation. At this time, some places have all the supplies that they need and are working to determine storage solutions for affected families. When individuals decide on their own to respond, it slows and diverts the organization efforts. Meetings are happening throughout the week with community stakeholders and relief organizations, and more storms are affecting Indiana. We will have more concrete ways for you to assist soon, and we are grateful for some that are already happening!
- Your financial gift to Indiana Disaster Response and continued giving to UMCOR is especially appreciated.
- Please do not deliver supplies unless we receive a direct request. The affected communities have very limited storage capacity, and unneeded supplies are already creating a burden. A coordinated effort of donations is vital, and this measured response is happening through our state network.
- Sign up to receive updated information as it becomes available by emailing Rev. Jen Huff, Missions Coordinator, to join the email list: email@example.com.
- Let Rev. John Young know if you’d like to serve on a work team or to sign up for ERT training: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact Ron Heustis to let him know if you need us to respond in your area, or if you have a need for funds for disaster relief and response: email@example.com.
Due to the evolving nature of this situation, please be sure to follow Conference guidance for ways to give and serve. We will share opportunities as we learn more.