GREENCASTLE, Ind. – During a brief ceremony prior to the Oct. 5 annual meeting of the Joint Archives Committee of Indiana United Methodism and DePauw University, the two organizations viewed the restored portrait of Bishop Robert R. Roberts now displayed (to the left of the door) in Meharry Hall of DePauw University. The portrait was vandalized and defaced. Through joint efforts of the Indiana Conference and DePauw, it was restored. The significance of this unveiling and the return of the portrait to East College is found in the history of DePauw. Some 175 years ago, the Greencastle Methodist Episcopal Church raised $25,000 and provided it to the Indiana Conference to establish Indiana Asbury College (now DePauw University) in 1837. Robert R. Roberts was the Bishop of the Indiana Conference and was instrumental during the early years in the success and growth of this institution. Bishop Roberts died in 1843. He and his wife are buried on campus on the Holton Quad.