Even during this long recession, Hoosier United Methodists continue to show their generosity toward ministries for children here in Indiana, across the United States and around the world. Because of that generosity, the Indiana Conference Bishop’s Christmas Offering Committee was recently able to distribute another $77,500 to children’s projects worldwide.
Earlier this spring, the offering committee distributed $22,500 to the Indiana Conference’s Impact 2818 Outdoor Ministries for camp scholarships, providing lower income campers the means to attend camp this past summer.
In September, the Bishop’s Christmas Offering Committee distributed the remaining $77,500 of the $100,000 received for:
- Indiana United Methodist-related children and youth homes ($10,000 each) to Bashor Children’s Home in Goshen, the Indiana United Methodist Children’s Home in Lebanon and the United Methodist Youth Home in Evansville;
- Operation Classroom ($10,000) – an Indiana United Methodist-based mission to support schools in Liberia and Sierra Leone;
- Indiana Conference-related local outreach ministries ($24,500); and
- United Methodist Advance Projects both national and international ($13,000).
Bishop Coyner thanks the churches of Indiana for their generous support to these ministries for children and youth.
2011 Christmas Offering
Continuing Bishop Coyner’s request to “Pray for all the children of the world” this year, the Bishop’s Christmas Offering will be received and distributed in early 2012 using these percentages for distribution.
- Indiana Conference Camping program will receive 20 percent to go to first-time campers and children in need;
- Indiana United Methodist-related children and youth homes will receive 30 percent;
- Indiana Conference-related Operation Classroom will receive 10 percent;
- Local outreach projects will receive 20 percent;
- Bishop’s fund for emergency children’s projects will receive 10 percent;
- United Methodist Advance Projects (global and national) will receive 10 percent.
Programs supported by this offering are selected by the Indiana Conference Special Offerings Committee. These programs are among those endorsed by the United Methodist General Board of Global Ministries or by the Indiana Conference Advance Special.
Resource materials, including a cover letter from the Bishop, posters, offering envelopes and a bulletin insert master, will be sent in November to each congregation to promote this seasonal offering. These materials also will be posted on the conference website in November at www.inumc.org, click on Christmas Offering. In addition to these materials, the website will include PowerPoint presentations, Moments for Mission and an extended description of the children’s ministries included in the 2010 offering distributed this year.