MUNCIE, Ind. – “Do justice, love kindness, walk humbly with God” is the theme for the 2011 Indiana Annual Conference Session to be held at Ball State University in Muncie, Wednesday, June 8 through Saturday afternoon, June 11. Plenary sessions will be held in Emen’s Auditorium.
Keynote speaker for the annual conference will be Dr. Marcia McFee (www.marciamcfee.com), who also will assist in worship services and with the conference praise team. McFee is an author, worship designer and leader, professor, preacher and artist. Her engaging and interactive style has been called refreshing, inspiring and unforgettable. McFee combines her background and experience in professional companies of music, theater and dance with a variety of worship and preaching styles in order to bring a fresh experience of the Gospel to each worship setting. She has provided worship design and leadership at numerous national and regional gatherings.
McFee specializes in designing and leading conference worship. During the past 18 years, she has coordinated worship for countless regional and agency conferences. Two years ago, she designed and led 22 worship services during a 10-day period for the 2008 General Conference of the United Methodist Church held in Fort Worth, Texas.
McFee received a Master’s of Theological Studies degree at Saint Paul School of Theology in Kansas City, Mo., with a concentration in Preaching and Worship, where she recently received the Outstanding Graduate Award from the Alumni Association. She earned a Ph.D. in Liturgical Studies at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, Calif. with an allied field of Ethics. She has been a guest lecturer and adjunct faculty at nine seminaries and served as the North Texas Conference (UMC) Consultant on Worship and the Arts.
Balloting for clergy and lay delegates to represent the Indiana Conference at the 2012 General and North Central Jurisdictional Conferences will be added to the usual business of an annual conference.
The 2012 General Conference of The United Methodist Church will take place April 24-May 4 at the Tampa Convention Center. The 2012 North Central Jurisdictional Conference of the church will take place July 17-21 at the Knight Center in Akron, Ohio.
Next year’s annual conference will not host a mission outreach to the Muncie community. Instead, congregations from across the state will be reporting on their own mission outreach days that took place since the 2010 Annual Conference Session.
Highlights of conference include:
- Wednesday, June 8 – late afternoon and early evening
- Laity will have an informal mixer to meet-and-greet lay candidates for the 2012 General and Jurisdictional Conferences, to be followed by the Laity Session and the first ballot for laity candidate elections.
- Clergy will have a separate informal mixer to discover the views of fellow clergy before the first ballot for 2012 General and Jurisdictional delegates. The mixer will be followed by the clergy session where the first clergy ballot will be taken.
- Thursday morning, June 9 – Opening worship and teaching time with Dr. McFee
- Thursday afternoon and evening – Plenary sessions
- Friday morning, June 10 – Recognition of retirees
- Friday evening – Service of Remembrance and Celebration of Resurrection
- Saturday morning, June 11 – Ordination and Commissioning Service
- Saturday afternoon – Plenary session, if needed, to conclude business and balloting.
Information about the 2011 Indiana Annual Conference Session will continue to be placed in a new tab on the Indiana Conference website at www.inumc.org.