PORTAGE, Ind. – Women perform sacred dance during a celebratory worship during the 175th anniversary of First United Methodist Church at Portage, Ind. Indiana Bishop Mike Coyner was the preacher at all three worship services celebrating the anniversary on Sunday, Oct. 10. A times capsule was buried between the first two services. The former McCool Methodist Church began meeting at McCool’s Grove, in schools and homes with circuit riders ministering to new congregation in 1835. The first chapel was built in 1855. A second chapel was built in 1896. In 1968 the church was renamed First UMC of Portage. In 1985 the former building was razed and a new structure was built. Five years ago, First UMC purchased the Curry Farm and renamed it Crossroads, a place for gatherings and special outreach events.
Portage First UMC celebrates 175th anniversary
comments powered by Disqus