The Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church is forming a Disability Concerns Team. This is a new team and part of the Indiana Conference’s Social Justice and Advocacy Team. The team is being formed to encourage and support UM churches, who would like to start disability ministries and to support those already in ministry. Beth DeHoff, chairperson of the Speedway UMC Special Needs Ministry and Communications Co-Chair for the United Methodist National Task Force on Disability Ministries, chairs this new team. Members should include members of a UMC from across Indiana.
The team will meet face-to-face, to the extent possible, in May and one other time during the year. Other meetings will be held by conference call (perhaps those in like areas gathering) and by e-mail.
The conference is seeking members who:
- Are members of an Indiana United Methodist church
- Are interested in ministering to and with people with disabilities
- Understand that people with disabilities are children of God and, like all individuals, of sacred worth and human dignity
- Are interested in ministering to and with people with intellectual, physical, developmental and emotional disabilities
- Want to make the United Methodist Church a place with open doors, open minds and open hearts for people with disabilities
- Have access to email
If you are interested, or know someone who might be, please communicate this message to clergy or lay members, of all abilities, who might be appropriate for the team.
For more information or to nominate people for this team, contact Beth DeHoff, chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.