Members, guests and other friends of Edgewood United Methodist Church, at 1820 East Epler Avenue in Indianapolis, celebrated the100th anniversary of the church’s founding. Seven neighbors on the southside of Indianapolis first met Sunday afternoon Jan. 3, 1909 on the second floor of a grocery store and organized a Methodist Sunday school class, the first in the neighborhood. Attendance steadily increased and the first church building was built in November 1911, followed by a larger building erected in 1951.
The Edgewood congregation celebrated its centennial on Sunday, Sept. 20. Pastor James Allen welcomed all to a day of worship, remembrance, music, fellowship and the dedication of new stained glass windows in the sanctuary. Indiana Bishop Mike Coyner was the congregation’s special guest as were several former ministers.