Annual Conference session highlights
MUNCIE, Ind. - RETHINK CHURCH was endorsed by Indiana Bishop Mike Coyner and the 13-member Indiana Conference interim sessions committee as the theme for the first Indiana Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church scheduled for June 25-28 at Ball State University in Emens Auditorium. More than 3,000 lay and clergy conference members from Indiana's 1,200 congregations are expected to attend the four-day event.
Here is an abbreviated edition of the Annual Conference session agenda. All sessions will be held in Emens Auditorium on the campus of Ball State University in Muncie, Ind. unless otherwise indicated. A more complete agenda is available online. Visit www.inumc.org, click on Annual Conference in left column then click on 2009 Annual Conference Agenda draft
Thursday, June 25 - Day of Teaching
- Featured speaker - the Rev. Adam Hamilton - 3 sessions
- The Rev. Adam Hamilton, senior pastor of the 15,500-member United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas (www.cor.org). Hamilton will focus on effective church leadership, ideas for preaching and worship and strategies for reaching residents who have no church commitment.
- "Effective Church Leadership" at 9:15 a.m.
- "Ideas for Preaching and Worship" at 11 a.m.
- "Strategies for Reaching the Unchurched" at 1 p.m.
- Clergy Session from 7 to 9 p.m. at Union Chapel Ministries
Friday, June 26 - Day of Organizing and Remembering
- Bible Study led by the Rev. Dr. David Bell "Extravagant Generosity" at 9 a.m.
- The Rev. David Bell of Brighton, Michigan, serves as vice-president of stewardship with The United Methodist Foundation of Michigan. Bell also does independent consulting through the Design for Ministry (http://davidsbell.org). Bell will give a biblical definition to "extravagant generosity" during morning Bible studies.
- Remembrance and Resurrection (Memorial) Service from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in Emens
Saturday, June 27 - Day of Outreach and Mission
- New District Gathering with lunch at Noon at 10 locations across Muncie
- Muncie community outreach and 50 mission projects by 10 new districts beginning at 1 p.m. across Muncie
- Celebration of mission and outreach from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, June 28 - Day of Celebrating Ministry and Sending Forth
- Celebration of Ministry Service (Ordination, commissioning worship service) at 10 a.m.
Learn more about the national RETHINK CHURCH campaign online at www.rethinkchurch.org.
For online registration to the 2009 Indiana Annual Conference Sessions at Ball State in Muncie, June 25-28 is now online at https://webview.shelbyinc.com/app/02303/default.aspx or at www.inumc.org.
Bishop Coyner to speak to UMW
United Methodist Women from across the Indiana Conference will join together for dinner at Ball State University June 25 during the church's annual conference session. Bishop Michael Coyner will speak to the group of Indiana women. An informational flyer is available online at www.gbgm-umc.org/indumw/ann_conf_dinner.pdf for use in publicizing this event. The $16 prepaid dinner reservation must be made through the Indiana Area Conference office. Watch for the registration card included in the Annual Conference mailing. - Carolyn Maxey, UMW Communications Coordinator
Baptisms of clergy children
The first Indiana Annual Conference
June 25-28 at Ball State University in Muncie
The Bishop is offering to baptize children of our clergy during the Ordination Service on Sunday, June 28th, of Annual Conference. There are already two requests, so if there are additional clergy who wish to have their children baptized during that service, please contact Mr. Ed Metzler, secretary to the bishop at email@example.com or by phone at 317-924-1321.
Clergy are not members of local congregation, they are members of the Annual Conference, so it has been a tradition that many clergy choose to have their children baptized during Annual Conference which is their congregation. Bishop Coyner welcomes that opportunity, so we need to know how many to expect for this year's service.
Laity Manuscript Contest
The Board of Laity of the Indiana Conference is offering the opportunity for all laity to express thanks and praise to God by submitting a sermon manuscript for judging. The theme for 2009 is "Disciples Transforming the World through Prayer." Manuscripts are judged on how well the theme is followed and developed, as well as the use of creative writing techniques.
All entries must be postmarked by May 23.
The author will present the winning manuscript at the Laity Session of the Indiana Annual Conference session on Thursday evening June 25 at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind. Two other manuscripts will be given honorable mention.
Manuscripts are to be sent to Ike Williams, Indiana Conference Co-Lay Leader, 1515 Cool Creek Drive, Carmel, IN 46033. Please include: name, address, city, state, zip code, area code, phone number, local church name and district name need to be on a cover letter. Manuscripts will be assigned a number and be judged anonymously by the selection committee. The winners and two runners up will be notified by June 14. Additional information concerning the manuscript contest can be obtained by contacting Bob Pimlott, Columbus District Lay Leader at 812-273-3081 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.