Members of Folsom Memorial United Methodist Church in Worthington celebrated their church's 175th anniversary Oct. 12.
The day included historical skits, a circuit-rider, a pitch-in dinner and tours of Old Point Commerce and other historical locations in town and around the countryside. Several members re-enacted an early church meeting in place of the normal Sunday worship service. Other highlights of the service included singing of old hymns and an old-fashioned sermon by the Circuit Rider, the Rev. Colin Cress.
The current church was officially organized in 1833, but prior to that year, meetings were held in cabins, in groves, in any place where a handful of people could be brought together. Visits to this area by circuit riders and local preachers are recorded in Greene County history as early as 1819 and circuit riders from Vincennes may have preached here as early as 1811.
The first documented visit by a circuit rider to Point Commerce was made by the Rev. John Stewart in 1821.
Ground was broken for the present Romanesque Revival-style church building in 1900 with stained glass windows believed to have been imported from Germany or Belgium. The church added a Hinners pipe organ in 1914.