INDIANAPOLIS – In response to the discussion of the Retiree Medicare premium subsidy at the 2013 Annual Conference Session, Bishop Mike Coyner asked the members of the Retiree Health Insurance Funding Task Force to continue meeting to review the concerns of the conference and make a proposal to the Board for consideration and submission to the 2014 Annual Conference.
The task force met and asked the Rev. George Hunsaker and Conference Director of Administrative Services Brent Williams to seek information on the level of pension being received by retirees. Based on information gleaned from Hunsaker and task force approval, following recommendations for subsidy support for both retired clergy and spouse (if both are on the Conference Medicare Supplement program).
The annual conference approved these recommendations:
- For surviving spouses over the age of 65, an amount of $250 will be credited towards the premium charged by the Conference-sponsored Medicare Supplement Plans.
- All participants who retired prior to 1990 will continue to receive $5/month/service year subsidy for up to 30 years of service.
- All participants who retired in 1990 thru 2004 will receive $4/month/service year subsidy for up to 30 years of service.
- All participants who retired in 2005 thru 2015 will receive $3/month/service year subsidy for up to 30 years of service.
- All participants who retire in 2016 and beyond will receive $2/month/service subsidy for up to 30 years of service.