Ministerial Education Fund (MEF) and Scholarship Awards
MEF Awards are made on behalf of the Indiana Annual Conference by the United Methodist Foundation of Indiana.
Eligibility for Scholarships and MEF
- Applicant must be a certified candidate in the Indiana Annual Conference of The United Methodist Church.
- Applicant must be enrolled and attending a school of theology approved by the University Senate of The United Methodist Church.
- Applicant must be seeking ordination as a Deacon or Elder.
- Applicants must have the recommendation of their district committee on ordained ministry and District Superintendent.
Application and Award Process
- Application deadlines are June 1 (note change from April 1) for fall semester grants and November 1 for winter/spring or summer semester grants.
- The student must complete application, secure the needed recommendations and send the application to The United Methodist Foundation of Indiana.
- Scholarships and MEF awards are based upon Certified Candidacy, financial need and the availability of funds. Maintaining a 3.0 equivalent or above GPA (GPA is based on a 4.0 scale; the requirement does not apply for 1st semester seminarians) is also required. Failure to do so will result in suspension of assistance until such time as the GPA is raised to that level. If a course is failed by a seminary student, the following semester the student's award will be reduced by the amount invested in the previously failed course.
- MEF Awards are awarded through the Indiana Annual Conference’s Ministerial Education Fund at a rate of $100 per credit hour (per semester) and $200 per projected decade of service remaining (per semester).
- Distribution of scholarships and MEF Awards will occur in January and August of the academic year.
- Students seeking ordination may apply for MEF Awards up to 5 years.
The United Methodist Foundation awards a number of scholarships on behalf of the Board of Ordained Ministry and the United Methodist Foundation. The actual amount of the scholarships varies from year to year. The eligibility criteria, application and award process for a scholarship are the same as for a Ministerial Education Fund Award, except. Some scholarships may have additional eligibility criteria or state a preference in granting an award (i.e. from a particular district or church); each applicant will be considered for all scholarships for which they qualify.