In the USA, we are kept abreast of the ravages of HIV/AIDS in places like Sub-Saharan Africa. Although it appears to be a distant threat far removed from these shores, in reality, we have every reason to be concerned. HIV/AIDS affects all ages, races, both sexes and all sexual orientations with 816,149 cases reported to Centers for Disease Control through 2001. That is close to a decade ago. New cases are reported daily at the rate of 40,000 per year and one quarter of those newly infected were unaware of their status.
The Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church is working to form a network within the conference of people from around the state to work together to raise awareness and prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS to create a nurturing and caring environment where those who most need comfort can find it.
Visit AIDS Ministries/AIDS Assist of North Indiana, Inc. by clicking www.aidsministries.org for more information.
You are invited to join with us in advocating with those affected and infected with HIV/AIDS. You are invited to become proactive in the fight against AIDS and stigmatization of those who have the disease by becoming an AIDS Ambassador. We need your creative ideas, your participation in training programs, your skills in event planning and your voice in advocating on behalf of those affected by HIV/AIDS.
As an AIDS Ambassador, you can:
- Inform the annual conference AIDS primary contact person of your willingness to address the issue of HIV & AIDS and explore ways you can support the work of the annual conference task force.
- Promote the UMC AIDS Advance Fund in your local church go to for information on the Fund. The Advance Fund # is 982345.
- Write articles on HIV & AIDS for your local church or annual conference newsletter to continue raising the issue before the congregation.
- Find out what's happening in your local community regarding AIDS services. Where are the gaps in services? How can you work with others to fill those gaps?
- Pray for people living with or affected by AIDS. If you don’t know anyone with AIDS, become connected with a local AIDS serving effort. Meeting people living with AIDS will be transformational in your life.
- Organize a World AIDS Day event in your local church and/or community. World AIDS Day is usually commemorated on December 1st. Resources can be found at www.umc-gbcs.org or www.gbgm-umc.org.
- Be a legislative advocate at your local, state and national level. Encourage people to become a part of the AIDS Network based at the General Board of Church & Society. To sign up, go to: www.umc-gbcs.org.
- Join the AIDS/HIV Awareness and Advocacy Network and email email@example.com and you will be added to the network list.
Opportunities to Give
25% of your contribution to the UMC Global Fund will be retained in your Annual Conference to be used for AIDS ministries. Please send contributions to:
Indiana Conference Center
301 Pennsylvania Parkway, Suite 300
Indianapolis Indiana 46280
World AIDS Day
World Aids Day is December 1st each year. Click here for more information.