Manwaring Tavern

Location

Manwaring Taver
US Highway 52
New Trenton, Indiana

Category

M.E. - Methodist Episcopal

Description

New Trenton, Franklin County

Location

U.S. Highway 52

New Trenton, Indiana

Category

M.E. - Methodist Episcopal

Description

Situated on the north edge of New Trenton, the Manwaring Tavern served as a Methodist meeting place in early times in Franklin County, as the marker states:

New Trenton

Through this natural portal a great tide of immigrants first entered the Whitewater Valley. On May 25th, 1803, Benjamin McCarty made the first land entry on this site in what would later become Franklin County.

New Trenton, platted in 1816, was an important point on the old Whitewater Canal.   Rockafellar and Manwaring taverns were very popular in the early 19th century. The Manwaring tavern also served as a Methodist “meeting house" on Sundays.

The tavern, converted into a private residence, is visible in the background of the photograph. According to the Indianapolis Sunday Star, April 10, 1927, the early Brookville and New Trenton area “prospered and grew, due largely to its location on the riding path between Cincinnati, Ohio, and Indianapolis. Here was established the famous Manwaring tavern, where thirsty and tired travelers tarried for refreshment and rest. The proprietor was Solomon Manwaring, saloonkeeper, storekeeper, preacher and sage. This famous old tavern is said to be one of the oldest brick houses west of the Alleghennles, an honor that it shares with the Governor William Henry Harrison mansion at Vincennes. Manwaring tavern was built of brick in 1808.  … The house is in an almost perfect state of preservation.”

GPS: 39 18 43.42,-084 54 05.72

view in Google

Connect with us
Subscribe to our emails

Keep up with the latest news, information and inspiration.