Wayne Street M.E. Church
Methodism in the Fort Wayne area was organized as a mission in 1828. The people were able to erect a frame building in 1840 which they named Berry Street Chapel. Rapid growth made it necessary to divide the congregation in 1849, and those remaining at Berry Street took the name of First M.E. Church. The parishioners west of Harrison Street were formed into what became known as the Wayne Street M.E. Church.
By 1871 the Wayne Street worshippers were able to erect a handsome brick structure, and they remodeled it in 1896. In 1968, these Fort Wayne "sister" congregations were again joined and, logically, became the “First Wayne Street United Methodist Church.” For a time, the brick Wayne Street church continued to be used by the reunited congregations while they planned and constructed a modernistic new building several blocks to the east.
In 1973, the congregation left the Wayne Street edifice for their new house of worship. The old brick church became the Broadway Christian Church, and it remains well-maintained on the southwest corner of Wayne and Broadway Streets and is open for services of worship by that denomination. The sanctuary has been extensively and attractively remodeled. Photographs in the vestibule depict this historic M.E. church in its Methodist years, and tiles from the original vestibule are on display.
GPS of the brick church: 41 04 36.30, -85 08 54.05 (For the "sister" church, see the Heritage Map site “First Wayne Street United Methodist Church”)