Tyson's Temple UMC

Location

324 W. Tyson St
Versailles, Indiana 47042

Category

M.E. - Methodist Episcopal

Description

Tyson Methodist Temple, which is located at 324 W. Tyson St., is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.The Congregation dates from 1834. This building is unusual for its Art-Deco style architecture (1936-1937). Built and financed by James H. Tyson, co-founder of the Walgreen Drugstore Chain composed of glass, brick, copper, glazed brick and aluminum. No wood except for pews. Arched ceiling portrays principal stars and constellations as appear on an Indiana October night.  (Also notice the historical marker in Versailles about “Morgan’s Raiders” a northern-most penetration of Confederate forces into Indiana territory in the Civil War.)

view in Google

Connect with us
Subscribe to our emails

Keep up with the latest news, information and inspiration.