First church building in Indiana of the Evangelical Association
The first church building in Indiana of the Evangelical Association was erected here in 1844, the congregation having been organized by Chr. Augenstein in 1838. Though several times remodeled, this is the original building. The first (Ev.) annual conference session in Indiana was held here June 1, 1853. Absolom B. Schaefer, who preached the first Evangelical sermon in Indiana at Abington, southwest of Fort Wayne, is buried in the cemetery just southwest of the now (U.M.) Church. In the north center of the cemetery is a marker commemorating a 100 years of Evangelical ministry in Indiana. Schaefer’s is the second grave south of this.