Roberts Park UM Church
Roberts Park UM Church (401 North Delaware) is named after Indiana’s (M.E.) Bishop Robert R. Roberts. After the Wesley Chapel congregation split in the 1840s over the issue of organ music, this congregation was formed by the group that favored congregational singing. The magnificent Romanesque Revival church building, was built in 1876 and designed by Dietrich A. Bohlen, city's leading 19th century architect.
Roberts Park is called the “the mother church” of Indianapolis Methodism because it has hosted so many significant events and helped to start other congregations in the area. One of its earliest members was a woman who had been converted in England by John Wesley. The Southeast Indiana (M.E.) Conference Women’s Missionary Society was organized here in November of 1889. The women of the Indiana (M.) Conference here organized their Woman’s Society and their Wesleyan Service Guild in 1940. Roberts Park Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
GPS: 39 46 22.92, -86 09 14.80