Fletcher Place


501 Fletcher Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana


M.E. - Methodist Episcopal


Fletcher Place.   In 1848 Roberts Chapel started a Sunday school at the railroad depot because the sidewalks and streets made it unsafe for children to walk.  This was the beginning of Fletcher Place Methodist Church.  The congregation was formally organized in 1849 and continued to meet in the depot.  In 1852 a brick chapel was erected at the corner of New Jersey and South Street and named Asbury Chapel.  In 1872 land was donated by Calvin Fletcher, a wealthy lawyer and faithful Methodist, and in 1874 the church was erected and named in his honor.  At the time, the church's 187-foot spire made it Indianapolis' tallest building, but the steeple itself has since been removed.

Reputed to have been designed by its pastor, Charles Tinsley, the church served its congregation until 1981.  Then, threatened with demolition, the building was rescued by the Fountain Square & Fletcher Place Investment Corporation which extensively restored the exterior.   Beginning in 2012, the interior was converted into private condominiums, but many features of the building, inside and out, were preserved to reflect the beauty of the original structure.

GPS:  39 45 39.64, -086 08 55.15

view in Google

Connect with us
Subscribe to our emails

Keep up with the latest news, information and inspiration.