Parkview Memorial Hospital
Parkview Memorial Hospital, located at 2200 Randallia Drive in Ft. Wayne, was organized in 1878 as Fort Wayne City Hospital. It started out with eighteen crowded beds, no trained nurses, outside plumbing, and gas lights. Room rates were $2.50 a week. It was renamed Hope Hospital in 1891. A training school for nurses was established in 1897. By 1900 its receipts ran $12,000, but its indebtedness was $16,500.
The debt continued to grow until 1916 when its property was sold to the Y.M.C.A. for $36,000. Fortunately the Methodist Hospital and Deaconess Home Association of Indiana stepped in, and in 1918 Hope Hospital became Methodist Hospital of Fort Wayne. Despite this new beginning, the hospital remained financially dependent on the North Indiana Conference of the Methodist Church for the next 20 years.
A new organization was formed in 1941, clear of all debts and renamed "Fort Wayne Methodist Hospital." In 1943 a campaign for a new hospital began, ground was broken for the new Parkview Memorial Hospital in August of 1951, and its doors opened in 1953. In 2014 Parkview Hospital continued as a United Methodist-affiliated institution. -- credit John R. Riggs, Archives Researcher, Indiana UM Archives at DePauw
GPS: 41 05 46.64, -085 06 39.18