Workshop - Ministry WITH the Poor - Indianapolis
This event will teach how to create relationships with under-resourced neighbors that will last and create transformation within congregations. Church leaders look at a strategy that will foster lasting transformation as opposed to a band-aide approach. The techniques and philosophies will help churches understand how to be more extravagant with their hospitality and create lasting change in people's lives.
- Review the ways congregations support the poor and wrestle with the question, "Do these practices support families or create dependence?"
- Discover the difference between situational and generational poverty.
- Understand why it is important to know resources available in their community.
- Learn about hidden rules among classes and why a working knowledge of these rules really matters.
- Discover the need to understand different language registers for people living in poverty and understand the common story structures for under-resourced families.
- Learn best practices for ways churches can reach out to under-resourced families while keeping families' dignity in tact.