2018 Lenten Study: Now is the Time
Overview: In light of a rising anxiousness for what will become the United Methodist Church after the Special General Conference in February 2019, how can the Body of Christ journey together through the Season of Lent, to engage in critical conversations, for the purpose of understanding our differences, yet strengthening the covenant with God and one another.
What a great opportunity for the Indiana Conference’s lay and clergy leaders, to create a gracious space during Lent to return the focus of our lives toward becoming more like Jesus Christ, in a community and through conversation. There will be a weekly series of lay and clergy guided discussions in the ten (10) districts across Indiana, using the book, Is It Time? Helping Laity and Clergy Discuss Homosexuality One Question at a Time, while understanding NOW IS THE TIME for the United Methodist witness in Indiana to model what it means to be the Church on Mission!
- Each Conference Superintendent will identify a host church in each of the ten (10) districts that would serve as the weekly hub for the lay and clergy guided conversations (to begin March 7-28, 2018).
- Each Conference Superintendent will identify three (3) to four (4) lay and clergy leaders who commit to being trained as a facilitator and facilitating the conversation in each district.
- Debra J. Jarvis, the Facilitator’s trainer, is a dedicated United Methodist layperson, who is highly qualified through her experiences of leadership, management and diversity and inclusion consulting, as well as training and research for the last ten years with numerous public safety and not-for-profit organizations, including the National Emergency Training Center, Peace Learning Center, VA Hospital, and numerous others.
- There will be two (2) Facebook Live events hosted by the Indiana Conference, beginning Noon on Ash Wednesday that will serve as a model for the guided conversations.
- Ash Wednesday: Bishop Trimble, Bishop Coyner, Adolf Hansen, Kim Reisman, Doris Clark
- February 28: Members of the Board of Laity, Emerging Leaders, and Board of Ministry (Facilitated by Debra J. Jarvis)
All are invited, and this opportunity is open to all persons in the Christian community.
Online--- Each Wednesday during Lent in February 2018 (February 14 and 28) Noon- 2:00 pm
In Person--- Each Wednesday during Lent in March 2018 (March 7, 14, 21, 28)
COST: FREE - Registration is strongly encouraged.
The reading: Is It Time? Helping Laity and Clergy Discuss Homosexuality One Question at a time.
Abingdon Press, 2017 (ISBN 978-1-50185-973-1). Please purchase the book prior to the first session.