Indiana Conference seeks Associate Director of Leadership Development - Laity
Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church
Title of position—Associate Director of Leadership Development-Laity
ACA Classification-Regular Full-Time
Supervisor—Director of Leadership Development
“The United Methodist tradition has recognized that laypersons as well as ordained persons are gifted and called by God to lead the Church. The servant leadership of these persons is essential to the mission and ministry of congregations.”
The vision of Leadership Development in the Indiana Conference is to Discover, Develop, and Deploy fruitful leaders - passionate influencers, who empower others for intentional transformation, to accomplish the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
To assist in realizing the vision of Leadership Development by providing leadership and support for the implementation of the policies, practices and processes for the Board of Laity.
This critical role works to continually identify and implement best practices and innovations in engagement and leadership development to support fruitful laity leaders. The position is relational, connectional, and consultative in nature. It requires a high level of confidentiality. It also requires the ability to work in team and collaborative ministry with a high level of organizational communication skills.
The person must have a passion for serving in the development of fruitful laity leaders. The ideal candidate possesses a passion for Christ and Christ’s church, a heart for developing others, demonstrates superior communication skills and is an experienced relationship-builder.
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Leadership Development to fulfill the mission of the Indiana Conference and vision of the department of Leadership Development to discover, develop, and deploy fruitful laity leadership
- Provides administrative support through a close working relationship with the Board of Laity and Lay Servant Ministry
- Authority to communicate and implement the policies and procedures set by the Board of Laity
- Recommend, coordinate, and implement leadership development opportunities for laity leaders.
- Develop and implement laity leadership development initiatives
- Assist in succession planning for Board of Laity by discovering and developing lay leaders
- Communicate and facilitate Board of Laity Policies and Practices with other leadership in the Indiana Conference to include; the Bishop, Conference Superintendents, Conference and District Lay Leaders
- Responsible to develop, work with, and maintain relationships. This includes but is not limited to Conference Lay Leader, District Lay Leaders, Congregational Lay Leaders, and other Related Boards & Committee Members, Ordained Clergy, Bishop and Conference Superintendents, Office Staff, Chairpersons of Related Areas, and District Assistants
Qualifications for this position
- A vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion to help fulfill the church’s mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- Knowledgeable and supportive of the mission and ministry of the United Methodist Church
- Understanding of and commitment to diversity (culture, race, gender, theology, age, etc.)
- Substantial familiarity with structure and polity of the United Methodist Church
- Active non-clergy member of a United Methodist church
- Significant experience in leadership development, engagement, and cultivation and/or human resources management, with a demonstration of fruitfulness and progression
- High consideration will be given to those who possess a Master’s Degree in theological studies or equivalent experience
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality and professional integrity, with an ability to inspire confidence and become a trusted advisor
- Proven ability to interact with and form fruitful partnerships with all levels of management and congregational leaders
- Strong organizational, administrative, and interpersonal skills with a high level of “emotional intelligence.”
- Strong communication skills: writing, speaking, and correspondence
- Ability to travel and work remotely as needed
Application Materials Required
Interested applicants must complete and submit the following information to be considered:
- A letter of interest which includes the following:
- What is it about the position of Associate Director of Leadership Development - Laity that appeals to you the most?
- Please share how you believe your past work experiences have prepared you for a role such as the one being offered?
- Please share how you feel your personal values and beliefs align with those of the Indiana Conference of the United Methodist Church?
- A current resume detailing qualifications
All resumes and information should be submitted via email to email@example.com no later than May 31, 2017.
Attached file(s): view file