The ideal candidate must be exceptionally well organized, highly skilled, flexible, responsible, and resourceful person who enjoys the challenges of supporting an office of diverse people and programs and building relationships across the church, across faith communities, in centers of governments and non-government organizations. This person is expected to exercise initiative, good judgment and discretion related to the broad range of responsibilities lodged in the General Secretary’s office. This person must be able to work independently, coordinating high level executive functions with latitude for independent judgment. Confidentiality is crucial to this role.
The successful candidate must have the ability to multitask with attention to detail and have the ability to think on his or her feet. This person must be able to schedule offsite meetings, board meetings and perform project management functions. This person is expected to work cooperatively with staff in a team approach.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide senior executive level support for the Office of the General Secretary and serve as the primary point of contact for the GS. Positively represent the General Secretary and the executives’ office inside and outside of the agency.
- Manage the General Secretary’s daily calendar, schedule meetings including substantively and logistically preparing the GS for all meetings, arrange domestic and international travel and coordinate arrangements for meetings, conferences and GBCS board meetings.
- Prepare, edit and type with an expert level proficiency a variety of confidential correspondence and reports. Proofread and edit speeches, documents and other written materials. Develop and maintain names in the GBCS database for the GS office in developing and maintaining relationships.
- Manage the office of the General Secretary which requires comprehensive knowledge of executive operations, policies and practices. Manage the flow of all communications with the General Secretary, email and U.S. Postal Service correspondence, respond to all information requests, arrange conference calls, screen incoming calls, build and sustain relationships.
- Prepare, file and maintain expense forms, travel requests and check requests in the financially accepted format for travel reimbursement for the GS.
- Add value by keeping abreast of the agency’s mission, vision and progress as well as a functional knowledge of The United Methodist Church structure and policy.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degrees in English, Business Administration or equivalent work experience excellent writing skills are a must.
- Self-starter with a solid work history.
- Prefer 8-10 years of experience in support at the executive level.
- Must be able to work independently and effectively while demonstrating initiative.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with persons at all levels, both verbally and in writing commensurate with a highly visible position.
- Expert level proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Access, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Must be able to work in Washington, D.C.; no paid relocation.
Annual salary commensurate of experience, pension benefits, paid vacation, sick leave, comprehensive medical, dental and accidental death insurance; other benefits as outlined in the Employee Personnel Manual. This is a fulltime exempt position with 5-10% travel.
The General Board of Church & Society is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, age, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.
Procedure and Deadline:
To apply applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
Incomplete applicant information will not be considered.
No agencies please.
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The General Board of Church and Society
Attn: Ms. Frances J. Roberts, AGS Administration/Human Resources
100 Maryland Ave. NE #224
Washington, DC 20002-5625