Africa University Choir performing across Indiana in concert
The Africa University Choir, soon touring the United States, will be performing concerts across Indiana. The following concerts are free and open to the public. Come enjoy.
- Friday, June 7 at Indiana Annual Conference Session in the Indiana Convention Center, 100 S. Capitol Avenue at Georgia Street in downtown Indiana at 7 p.m. EDT.
- Sunday, June 9 at St. Luke’s UMC, 100 West 86th Street, Indianapolis during the three morning worship services at 8:15, 9:30 and 11 a.m. EDT;
- Sunday, June 9 at First UMC, 1700 W State Street in West Lafayette at 7 p.m. EDT;
- Monday, June 10 at Methodist Temple UMC, 2109 Lincoln Avenue in Evansville at 7 p.m. CDT;
- Tuesday, June 11 at Wesley UMC, 1201 Locust Street in Jeffersonville at 7 p.m. EDT;
- Wednesday, June 12 at First UMC, 219 East 4th Street in Bloomington at 7 p.m. EDT; and
- Thursday, June 13 at St. Mark’s UMC, 4780 East 126th Street in Carmel at 7 p.m. EDT.
The touring choir features students from various African countries, all with a passion for music ministry. Its repertoire is drawn from the African praise and worship tradition and features songs in more than 18 languages, including English, French, Portuguese, Swahili (East and Central Africa); Shona and Ndebele (Zimbabwe); Zulu (South Africa); and Lingala (Democratic Republic of Congo). These songs speak of abiding faith in the face of trials and celebrate the fullness of God’s love. They inspire movement and are often joyful expressions of gratitude and hope in Almighty God.
The director of the Africa University Choir, Mr. Tendekai Kuture, is a distinguished Zimbabwean choral conductor. He is head of the Department of Music in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at Africa University.
We welcome our fellow United Methodists from AU to Indiana. For more information about AU, visit africau.edu.
Biographical information and photos are available here.