2018 Lenten Study: Now is the time
FULL VIDEO OF THE FACEBOOK LIVESTREAM
Overview: In light of a rising anxiousness for what will become the United Methodist Church after the Special General Conference in February 2019, how can the Body of Christ journey together through the Season of Lent, to engage in critical conversations, for the purpose of understanding our differences, while strengthening the covenant with God and one another.
What a great opportunity for the Indiana Conference’s lay and clergy leaders, to create a gracious space during Lent to return the focus of our lives toward becoming more like Jesus Christ, in community and through conversation. There will be a weekly series of lay and clergy guided discussions in the ten (10) districts across Indiana, using the book, Is It Time? Helping Laity and Clergy Discuss Homosexuality One Question at a Time, while understanding NOW IS THE TIME for the United Methodist witness in Indiana to model what it means to be the Church on Mission!
- Each Conference Superintendent will identify a host church in each of the ten (10) districts that would serve as the weekly hub for the lay and clergy guided conversations (to begin March 7-28, 2018).
- Each Conference Superintendent will identify three (3) to four (4) lay and clergy leaders who commits to being trained as a facilitator and facilitating the conversation in each district.
- Debra J. Jarvis, the Facilitator’s trainer, is a dedicated United Methodist lay person, who is highly qualified through her experiences of leadership, management and diversity and inclusion consulting, as well as training and research for the last ten years with numerous public safety and not-for-profit organizations, including the National Emergency Training Center, Peace Learning Center, VA Hospital, and numerous others.
- There will be three (2) Facebook Live events hosted by the Indiana Conference, beginning Noon on Ash Wednesday (and each Wednesday in February) as a model for the guided conversations.
- Ash Wednesday: Bishop Trimble, Bishop Coyner, Adolf Hansen, Kim Reisman, Doris Clark
- February 28: Members of the Board of Laity, Emerging Leaders, and Board of Ministry (Facilitated by Debra J. Jarvis)
All are invited, and this opportunity is open to all persons in the Christian community.
Online--- Each Wednesday during Lent in February 2018 (February 14 and 28) 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 pm
In Person--- Each Wednesday during Lent in March 2018 (March 7, 14, 21, 28)
COST: FREE - Registration is strongly encouraged.
The reading: Is It Time? Helping Laity and Clergy Discuss Homosexuality One Question at aTime.
Abingdon Press, 2017 (ISBN 978-1-50185-973-1). Please purchase the book prior to the first session.
Kindle and paperback versions are available for purchase at www.amazon.com.
LENTEN STUDY CRITICAL CONVERSATION LOCATIONS, TIMES, AND FACILITATORS
LOCATION: Rosedale Hills UMC 4450 S Keystone Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46227
TIME: 12:00 p.m.- 1:30 p.m.
- Amy McCabe
- Cameron Manifold
- Elizabeth Gilbert
- Lisa Morris
LOCATION: Lakeville UMC 610 N Michigan St, Lakeville, IN 46536
TIME: 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. (EST) | 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (CST)
- Bob Vale
- Heather Foley
- Barb Holcomb
- Carl Hetler
NORTH CENTRAL DISTRICT
LOCATION: St. Luke's UMC in Kokomo 700 E Southway Blvd, Kokomo, IN 46902
TIME: 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Jared Kendall
- Katy Benson
LOCATION: Monticello UMC 200 S Main St, Monticello, IN 47960
TIME: 12:00 pm - 2:00 p.m
- Kerry O'Brien
- Kurt Freeman
- Jane Creswell
LOCATION: Huntington Trinity UMC 530 Guilford St, Huntington, IN 46750, Auburn UMC 1203 E 7th St, Auburn, IN 46706
TIME: 7:00 p.m
- Jim Farrer
- Beth Horrom
- Steven McPeek
- Jean Hayden
LOCATION: New Albany Centenary UMC 309 E Spring St, New Albany, IN 47150
- 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 pm.
- 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Harriett Akins-Banman
- Kathy Ottinger
- Janet Werle
- Doug Drake
LOCATION: FUMC Columbus 618 8th St, Columbus, IN 47201
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
- Howard Boles
- Diane Lill
- Darlene Bricker
- Maia Campbell
- Don Faber
LOCATION: University of Evansville- NEU Chapel S Rotherwood Ave, Evansville, IN 47714
TIME: 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. (CST)
- Tammy Gieselman
- Karin Heinicke
- Betty Hart
- Mitch Gieselman
LOCATION: FUMC New Castle 1324 Church St, New Castle, IN 47362
TIME: 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Jake Ohlemiller
- Cynthia Garver
- Mick Miller
- Rob Judd
LOCATION: Terre Haute Memorial UMC 2701 Poplar St, Terre Haute, IN 47803
TIME: 1:00 p.m.
- Chiyona Bourne
- Jay Jones